Tourist Places

Bala Quila:

Bala Quila or Alwar Fort stands atop a steep hil and provides a great view of the city from its watch towers. This fort is said to have been constructed by Hasan Khan Mewati in 1942 A.D. after passing several hands. It was finally conquered in 1775 A.D. by Maharao Raja Pratap Singh, the founder of Alwar.
The fort extends 5 kms from north to south and 1.6 kms from east to west. It is 595 mtrs. above sea level and 304 mtrs. above the city. It has 15 large and 51 small towers with 446 loopholes for musketry. The fort can be entered from six gates namely Jai Pol, Chand Pol, Kishan Pol, Andheri Pol, Suraj Pol and Lakshman Pol. The remains of Jai Mahal, Nikumbh Mahal, Salim Sagar, Suraj Kund and many temples reflect the grand style of yore. A fortress built by Alaghu Rai in 1049 A.D. is also located here.

 

Vijay Mandir Palace:

This royal residence, built in 1918, belongs to Maharaja Jai Singh and lies 10 km outside of Alwar. Reflected picturesquely in the waters of Vijay Sagar Lake, this sprawling palace is said to have been designed along the lines of a ship.

 

Siliserh Lake:

The water palace of Siliserh with a lake surrounded by low wooded hills is on route to Sariska. It lies 12 Kms. Southwest of Alwar. The tranquil lake is nestled in the hills; the sparkling ripples of the lake cover an area of about sq. Kms , surrounded by thick forest and magnificent cenotaphs on its embankment. A royal hunting lodge /palace was built by Maharaja Vinay Singh for his Queen Shila in 1845. It has been converted into a tourist bungalow and is an attractive sot for a peaceful holiday.

 

Sariska (35 Kms):

In the hills of the Aravallis this thickly wooded area throbs with wildlife. Not only a delight for wildlife lovers, it is also for the enthusiast of art and archeology. About 300 Hindu and Jain temples (8th-12th Century) of mythological, religious and historical significance are built here. Important locations in Sariska are :

 

Sariska Palace:

Built as a royal hunting lodge by Maharaja Jai Singh in the 19th century, stands the Sariska palace. A magnificent piece of architecture, it is now a luxury hotel.

 

Sariska Tiger Reserve & National Park:

It features dry, open forest over a large area of hills and valley with lovely springs cascading through them. It has a number of exotic fauna consisting of tiger, leopard, hyena, sambhar, chital, nilgai, chausingha, langurs and rhesus monkeys. The fauna varies from parakeet, partridge, crested serpent eagle, red spurfowls, treeple and goldern backed woodpecker, babble and bulbul.

 

Ajabgarh-Bhangarh:

Mystery surrounded this ancient town of Bhangarh, as this town of about 10,000 dwellings was suddenly abandoned for reasons unknown. It is well connected by road. Worth seeing is the beauty of several temples in the area. Ajabgarh was the new habitation of dwellers of Bhangarh after it was deserted. Today a bustling village can be seen existing among old structures.

 

City Palace:

A blend of Rajput and Mughal architecture, the City Palace of Alwar dates back to the 18th century. Presently in the ground floor of the palace, government offices and district courts are functioning. The attractions of the City Palace Rajasthan include an artificial lake constructed by Maharaja Vinay Singh in 1815.There are also a number of temples on the banks of the lake.
Inside the palace is a splendid chhatri, having Bengali roof and arches. It is known as Moosi Maharani ki Chhatri. Located within this chhatri is the Company Garden, known as Purjan Vihar. The garden was built during the reign of Maharaja Shiv Dan Singh in the year 1868. Maharaja Mangal Singh made further additions to the garden in 1885.This garden is an ideal picnic spot in summers providing lush green surroundings, along with the cool shades of its numerous trees.

 

 

Moosi Maharani Ki Chhatri:

'Chhatri' means an elevated dome-shaped porch which, in Rajput architecture, is built to symbolise honour and pride. 'Moosi Maharani Ki Chhatri' is a historical monument of Rani Moosi and her king Bakhtawar Singh. Rani Moosi had committed 'Sati' and in her honour, 'Moosi Maharani Ki Chhatri' was built. The Chhatri is located at the top of pillared sandstone and the double storied elephant structure built here serves as the major source of tourist attraction. This spectacular design was made by Vinay Singh in 1804 AD.
 
The place is a double storied building with the upper floor completely made with marble stone. It houses magnificent curves and polished roofs. Also, there is a water pond which is located inside the premises. It was built by Vinay Singh in 1815 AD. 

Bhartrihari Baba Temple:

Raja Bharthari was the ruler of Ujjain in the 1st century BC and is a famous hero of the folk tales of North India. He had handed over his rule to his younger brother, Vikramaditya and had started following Guru Gorakhnath. Later, Bharthari got renowned by the name of 'Nath Panth Yogi' and is believed to have spent the last few years of his life at this place in Alwar. The Bharthari temple was built in his honour. This temple has become a pilgrimage now and attracts a lot of devotees from across the nation.

Company Garden:

This was laid out during the reign of Maharaja Sheodan Singh in 1868 A.D. A summer house, 'Shimla', was added to it by Maharaja Mangal Singh in 1885 A.D. The garden was originally called Company Garden but later Maharaja Jai Singh changed it to Purjan Vihar.

Neelkanth Temple:

A few miles west, of Rajgarh town, above Tehla village, lies the Neelkanth temple. Located on a plateau of the hills, archaeologically, it is one of most amazing places to discover. Once located, this was a town adorned with temples and statues Its old name is Rajorgarh.

Jaisamand Lake:

Located very close to Alwar, Jaisamand Lake is spread across 1.5 km. Around the banks of the lake, there are many beautiful shaded porches and magnificent towers. All of these towers and porches were built on lotus-shaped foundations and have a height of around 7 feet. This lake was built in order to store water from River Ruparail.  

Neemrana:

Neemrana is a historical place situated in Alwar district. Previously the place was known by the name 'Raath' and was a home for Chouhan Rajputs. It is situated at a distance of 122 km from Delhi and at a distance of 150 km from Jaipur. The place comes under Behror Tehsil and is located in the middle of Shahjahanpur and Behror. Neemrana is also known as 'Ahirwal region' and serves as an industrial hub for the State.
 
The famous Neemrana fort is also housed in this area which was built in the 16th century and was occupied by Chouhan Rajputs till 1947. Since 1986, Neemrana is internationally renowned for its fort palace which is revitalised now as a heritage hotel. The place houses hanging gardens, pools and restaurants. 'Mini Japan' is also located in Neemrana.